Saturday, February 9, 2013
Our third annual Darwine Day, held on February 9, 2013 was a great success! Approximately 100 people attended at the Best Western Airport Inn. We enjoyed good food, a wonderful presentation, a birthday cake in salute to Mr. Darwin, and a number of unique items were purchased at the silent auction, with proceeds going towards the cost to pay for a full page ad in the Wichita Eagle on July 4th.
Our speaker this year was Dr. Teresa MacDonald, Director of Education, KU Natural History Museum (part of the Biodiversity Institute) at the University of Kansas. Her presentation focused on the ways she has tried to make the Theory of Evolution more accessible the varied audiences that visit the KU Natural History Museum. Much of the presentation was about evolutionary trees.
MacDonald was born and grew up in Winnipeg, Canada and earned a Bachelor of Arts, honors in physical anthropology, later moving to western Canada to pursue a Master of Science in vertebrate paleontology. From there, she taught science at a rural high school in northern Ghana (West Africa), then on to the United Kingdom where she worked in a university, museum and science center, before moving to Lawrence, KS. More than twenty years experience teaching science in five countries and on three continents has given her an opportunity to work in varied settings with diverse groups from Kindergarten to college level. Teresa is also involved in several National Science Foundation grant-funded projects including Understanding the Tree of Life, Adventures at Nanoscale: Superconductivity and Quarked! Adventures in the Subatomic Universe.
Some of the silent auction items
- A framed and signed photo of Noam Chomsky
- A large garden river rock with a painted image of Darwin with the words: "Evolution Rocks"
- The famous Charles Darwin "Bobbleheads" are back!
- A coffee mug with the logo "Roger Williams" from Rhode Island. (Williams was an early proponent of church/state separation and religious liberty in the colonies.)
- A "clean" dollar bill (no "In God We Trust" on the bill) framed T-shirt: "Do You Keep Hearing Crazy Voices? Turn off Fox News"
- 13x20 Painted monkey on wood in the likeness of Che Guevara, "Viva La Evolucion!"
- Free Inquiry book Secular Humanism and Its Commitments
- Women's gloves in a cheetah print
- Zoo package: Ape Awareness merchandise, materials and a plush animal
- Children's books on evolution and the universe
- and more ...